Water Damage Tips You Need for Your East Phoenix Home
Homeowners are often surprised by how much damage a water leak can cause in a home, especially if a leak isn’t detected right away. Mold, warping and other damage can really wreak havoc on a home, leaving a big mess for homeowners to deal with. SERVPRO of East Phoenix specializes in water damage restoration so we know what it takes to get your home back to normal. We also have a few water damage tips for homeowners to help smooth the road to recovery.
Right after water damage occurs safety first!
Time is of the essence once you experience water damage. Follow these tips to keep damage to a minimum until the SERVPRO trained professionals arrive:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns so use caution when moving about the house
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform. Safety should be your first priority!
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful if you’re trying to move items on your own
Controlling water damage
There are several activities you should leave to the pros to handle, but here are a few activities you can do on your own after a flood or other water damage:
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after the removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
And here are a few things NOT to do; again, safety should always be your first priority:
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
What to expect from your SERVPRO of East Phoenix technicians
Once help arrives, here’s what you can expect to happen. SERVPRO follows a strict water damage restoration process to provide the best service possible. First, when you call us, we’ll ask a lot of questions so we have a handle on what to expect, so our techs will show up prepared! They’ll inspect and assess the water damage and determine how far the moisture has traveled to ensure proper and complete restoration. Next, we’ll quickly start the water removal process to get the majority of the water handled. Once that’s complete, the drying and dehumidification process starts. We use specialized equipment to remove the remaining water that is harder to access. Our professionals will use room measurements, temperature, and relative humidity to determine the optimal number of air movers and dehumidifiers needed to dry your home. Then we clean and sanitize the room or rooms that were damaged, and start the restoration process, which may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall and installing new carpet or may entail major repairs, such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business.
Experiencing water damage in your home is never easy, but following our water damage tips and calling the professionals at SERVPRO can help restore your home to pre-damage condition. If you experience water damage in your home, contact us at 602-507-6163.