How to Recover from A House Fire Caused by Electronics
Fires caused by electronics such as cell phones and cell phone chargers appear to be on the rise. More and more homes are investing in various types of electronics, all in need of charging at one point or another, and often left unattended. Since these electronics have become so commonplace for many people, we often forget basic safety habits that we should follow for these devices. When we don’t, we may suffer from a house fire caused by electronics, and the recovery process can be tough.
Basic safety guidelines to prevent a house fire from electronics.
Tablet and cell phone chargers need space to breathe, as they put off a significant amount of heat during charging cycles which have to be dispersed with the right amount of ventilation, yet many people will put these chargers by their beds, surrounded by books and other items which can cause significant heat. Devices that are covered up and not able to breathe can build up the heat and lead to igniting a fire; often when no one is home to quickly extinguish the flames. The lithium-ion batteries in these devices have containers that are pressurized and can rupture if the temperature goes up too fast or melt if they are heated for a long time. Many people mistakenly think electronics fires are caused by faulty chargers, but these fires can happen when devices are on a charger or not. Following basic safety rules can protect your Phoenix home from a house fire. Fire damage in your Phoenix home from your electronic devices are entirely avoidable. Not charging your phone in your bed, and making sure all devices are on a hard, flat surface while charging helps avoid these disasters.
What to do when you suffer from an electronics fire
If you experience fire from an overheated cell phone, tablet, or other devices, there’s a lot of clean up to face once the flames are extinguished. The aftermath can be overwhelming so it’s best to leave the cleanup to the professionals at SERVPRO of East Phoenix. We have the experience and training to know how to best clean up your home after a fire of any kind and understand the special challenges of fires caused by electronics.
Unlike burning wood or cloth, when electronics catch on fire, they emit particles like those from burning plastics which become electrically charged are known as ionization. What does that mean? It means the particles can adhere all over surfaces and can be a challenge to clean. At SERVPRO, we understand that because of ionization, clean up after an electronics fire takes special care to not only get rid of the smoke particles and get all surfaces clean again but to eliminate the acrid smell that accompanies burned plastics. Our highly trained technicians use advanced technology to clean your home, removed the burned electronics, and address any odor issues to restore your home to pre-fire conditions. When a SERVPRO technician arrives on the scene, they’ll do a thorough job evaluating the situation and how best to clean it, providing you with a clear plan ahead of time so you know exactly what to expect. We’re available 24/7 to help you recover from a fire caused by electronics.
You can rest assured that your East Phoenix home can be cleaned and restored by our staff thoroughly when you reach out to us at (602) 507-6163.
Looking for more ways to prevent fires in your home? Click here for tips on fire prevention in Phoenix.